There are two major problems with maintaining a beauty routine when you’re a work-at-home mom. The first is that you have to work around a tight schedule that involves squeezing your work into pockets of time that occur between familial obligations like feeding the kids, taking them to school, and running errands. So already you’re stretched kind of thin, and your beauty regimen ranks about fourth or fifth (if even that high) on your list of priorities. The other issue is an incentive. When you’re not going into the office every day, who are you really trying to impress by getting dressed and doing your hair and makeup? Unfortunately, this attitude can have a detrimental impact on your self-esteem and undermine you in other areas of your life. Think about it – when you look good, you feel pretty good, too. So if you want to make an effort but you don’t have a lot of time or motivation to work on your appearance, here are a few quick and simple tips to help you look and feel your best every day.
- Take a shower, dress like an adult. It’s tempting to roll out of bed and spend all day in your jammies or sweats when you don’t have to show off for anyone, but you’re really only hurting yourself with this unprofessional approach to your life. Do not give up on your looks simply because you can! Instead, hop in the shower for a refreshing wake-up, then dress like the professional mom-on-the-go that you are. This easy step will help you to look fantastic every day and feel just as good.
- Mud mask. Okay, so anyone who’s done this before knows that you need about half an hour to pull it off. The thing is, you can slap it on and do other things while it dries (working, making breakfast for the kids, etc.) and you only need 1-2 each week to clarify pores and firm and brighten your skin. This is a great primer that will make your face glow and help you to cut back on other, more time-intensive steps. And try to treat yourself to a salon facial at least once a month for a physical and spiritual pick-me-up.
- Minimize makeup. Have you heard of the 5-minute face? It can be yours and it really does take five minutes or less. Once your mud-mask regimen has evened out your skin tone, all you’ll need is a lightweight, powder-finish foundation (or even just a mineral powder, which may provide all the coverage you need), blush, mascara, and lip gloss. You can add more if you have a hot date with the hubby, but for everyday usage, the five-minute face is your go-to beauty boost.
- Get a haircut (skip the real job!). Many moms chop their hair because they simply don’t have time to fix it every day. This is a fantastic idea as long as you get a cut that’s flattering in addition to being functional. And don’t just phone it in with a wash and tousle; take a few minutes to blow-dry (if necessary) and add a little hair cream for quick finger styling.
- Hair mask. Like the mud mask, this is meant to keep your hair gorgeous between salon visits. You can try any number of products on the market (or even go natural with eggs, mayonnaise, avocado, and so on), but if you want professional results that will reduce frizz, add shine, and strengthen your tresses, try a liquid keratin treatment.