Top 5 Holiday Beauty Tips for Work-at-Home Moms
Being a work-at-home mom, you might not be as concerned about dolling yourself up for the holiday season as those who have to be seen by colleagues every day. But that doesn’t mean you should neglect your appearance. The holidays actually provide the perfect excuse to rev up your beauty routine. The cold weather prevalent at this time of year is no doubt wreaking havoc on your skin and hair, so it’s time to change up your regular regimen anyway. And while you’re at it you may as well sample some new products in the process. For the working mom who spends her time at home, beauty may not be a priority (what with kids and professional pursuits sucking up time). But with a few simple changes, you can enjoy a polished appearance this holiday season even if you’re only aiming to impress yourself, your family, and a few close friends.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! This is absolutely imperative during the dry, cold months of winter, which can leave your skin looking dull thanks to a lack of hydration and a buildup of dead skin cells. While you probably already exfoliate regularly and use a moisturizer of some kind, you might find that you need to turn it up to eleven in order to combat the increased dryness of winter. So look for a heavier product to use at night, when your skin is most receptive to repair (although you should still seek out non-comedogenic and oil-free products if you’re prone to oily skin), and opt for a lightweight but hydrating formula during the day so you don’t feel too greasy.
- Change your color palette. As the seasons change, so too does the quality of the light. And the warm tones of summer simply won’t do when the atmosphere takes on the cool, bluish tint of winter. Regardless of your skin tone, it’s a good idea to find cooler shades within your palette to use during the holiday season. Whereas the warm shades of months past can look garish and fake at this time of year, swapping to cooler hues will complement both your skin and the season.
- Add some frosting. Subtle shimmer may be used throughout the year, but during the winter you can amp up the sparkle factor a bit. This is not to say that you should dust yourself with glitter, which is a young girl’s game. But you can definitely go to town with a luminizing face primer to counteract the ravages of winter weather, providing you with an even, healthy glow despite your battle with dry skin and redness. And you should also consider eye shadow palettes that pack a wallop of shimmer to put a little more twinkle in your eyes.
- Get your zees. This is the time of year when mammals typically hibernate. While humans don’t tend to follow this trend, the shorter days and longer nights naturally lend themselves to a longer night’s sleep. Since you’re likely already suffering from the gloomy atmosphere, which can make your skin look gray, do what you can to minimize dark circles and puffiness, giving you the best base to work with. P.S. More sleep also equals less stress at this high-pressure time of year.
- Tame the frizzies. Now that you’ve got your skin in check it’s time to address your hair, which is likely rife with fly-aways, especially if you opt to use a heated styling tools. Luckily, you can buy Chi flat iron online products, as well as John Frieda, Ozon, and a number of other brands that are designed specifically to combat the woes of heat-treated tresses. And considering that the dry winds of winter will only exacerbate frizzies, it’s a good idea to find the right products to meet your particular needs.
Photo credit: 21months.com