5 Kitchen Essentials That Make a Work-at-Home Mom’s Life Easier
Work-at-home moms have enough on their plate (figuratively speaking) that they don’t need additional hassles in the kitchen taking up unnecessary time and effort. So when it comes to organizing and managing this essential living space for optimum efficiency, there are a few products you’ll probably want to include. Here are some kitchen must-haves that any beleaguered mom will be glad to have on hand.
- Small baggies. You might not like the idea of disposable Ziploc bags (in which case Tupperware will work just as well), but the idea here is preparation. If you know that you’re going to have to give the kids snacks throughout the week (not to mention feed yourself), a little prep work can go a long way towards saving you time and ensuring that you and the kids aren’t overeating from an open container of snack items. Whether you pre-pack your baggies with crackers, cheese slices, carrots, or cut fruit, you’ll have a quick snack that is already the right portion size.
- Double oven. Any stay-home mom is likely to find herself cooking for the household, which could mean some tight scheduling when it comes to popping dishes in and out of the oven. This can be an especially large hassle around the holidays if you’re hosting family and friends. But even on an average day you simply might not have time to bake multiple dishes, including cooking, warming, and so on. With a double oven you should have all the options you need to create the complex meals you love without the hassle of different times and temperatures holding you back. It couldn’t hurt to install a warming drawer, as well, while you’re at it.
- Trash compactor. If you’re sick of taking the kitchen trash out twice a day and it irks your green sensibilities to do so, consider installing a slim trash compactor. It will not only help to cut down on the size of waste you send to the landfill, but it will also mean far less trips to the garage or curb to dump your kitchen trash.
- Paper plates. The benefit of paper plates for the busy working mom is that there are far less dishes to do after meals (and they can’t be broken by kids who have yet to fully master their motor skills). Of course, like other disposable items, you might not be too keen on the impact these products have on the environment, but on this score you’re in luck. There are several brands of disposable dishware that offer eco-friendly solutions by way of recycled, sustainable, and biodegradable materials, meaning you can get the convenience you want without increasing your carbon footprint.
- The right tools for the job. There’s no need to clutter up your kitchen with every gadget on the market, but you should definitely get the tools you’ll use the most. You might want to check out blenders so you can make nutritious and delicious smoothies for the kids, or popsicle molds that you can pour the smoothies in for frozen treats. You could probably use a pair of tongs for hot dogs, chicken strips, kebabs, and the like – they’ll help you to avoid burning your hands and scratching your pans. In short, spring for the tools that you’re going to get plenty of use from. You won’t regret having them around, especially when you’re in a hurry.
Photo credit: www.womanaroundtown.com