5 Great Energy Saving Products for the Green Working Woman
If you’ve decided to join the green movement and do your part to personally make the world cleaner, greener, and more sustainable for future generations, then you’ve no doubt discovered that you’re not alone. In fact, the uptick in consumers interested in eco-friendly living has significantly increased the demand for products that do less harm to the environment. So you’ll find that there are all kinds of solutions that allow you to easily make the transition to greener living within your own home. As a responsible business woman, you may want to take your efforts even a step further by cutting your carbon footprint where your job is concerned. But aside from driving an alternative-fuel or electric vehicle, or taking public transportation for your commute, you might not have the first clue as to how to go greener at the office. So here are just a few energy-saving products that could help you to transfer your eco-ideals to the workplace.
- LED desk lamp. Whereas a compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulb is said to use about a third of the energy of a standard incandescent bulb and last about ten times longer, it turns out that light emitting diodes (LEDs) are even more energy efficient, making them an ideal solution for desktop lighting. As a bonus, they tend to display the truest color and they don’t compete with the glow coming from your computer monitor (an issue that can cause headaches or migraines for some people).
- Energy Star computer equipment. Just as Energy Star sets standards for electrical usage on washing machines, refrigerators, and other home appliances, they also have requirements for electronics that receive their seal of approval. If you want an instant fix to the problem of your personal power usage in the office setting, consider looking for computer equipment (computer, monitor, printer, etc.) that meets Energy Star standards. With the proper hardware in place you can significantly cut your consumption. Of course, you also need to make sure to set it correctly so that it shuts down when not in use.
- Energy Star power adapters. Yes, it’s Energy Star to the rescue again with smaller, lighter adapters that help to power your mobile devices. Approved products tend to offer an average boost of 30% efficiency over competitors. And if you travel a lot for work you’ll no doubt appreciate the compact and portable size of these products.
- Faronics. Technically, this product (and other software like it) is not designed for personal use, but rather for an entire office full of computers. It is, in essence, an IT tool that can monitor all of the computers on a network and find efficient energy management solutions that meet the needs of users and save energy and money at the same time. Although you can’t really implement this energy saving solution on your own, you could recommend the software to the company. They’ll certainly appreciate the part where they save money.
- Energy film. This also lands on the list of energy saving products that will benefit your entire office, so you may want to approach the building manager about making the change. This cling film, when placed on windows, can drastically reduce the solar rays that heat the interior of your building (by as much as about 90%). This can cut the amount of AC usage required to regulate the interior temperature on hot days, slashing not only energy usage, but also the cost for cooling.
Photo credit: conservationvalue.blogspot.com